Monday 9 February 2015

Confession of a dine-out-holic

So I have a confession to make. I love eating at restaurants and trying out different types of cuisines. It’s is amazing the variety of food I can try by eating out.  I can try Ethiopian one day and Japanese another.  It’s like traveling through different cultures in a short period of time in the same city. I get to learn more about what an injera is and how to eat it; I get to taste different types of ramen dunk in deliciously rich bone soup.  As an individual that values learning about different cultures, dining out has been a great teacher to me.

 Brunch
 Mexican
 Filipino
Fast food

Living in an urban city with a big University population made me dine out more often. It’s a social event. If I haven’t seen someone for a long time, I would meet up with them for lunch or dinner and grab a bite. I also enjoy trying new restaurants because being adventurous is part of being a dine-out-holic. Students get influenced by the social norms of our peer group all the time.  It has been shown that friends are an influential model agents with food selection (Kinard et al., 2011). So if your friends are eating unhealthy food, you’re most likely going to be engaging in the same behavior.  


Research further shows that the most important factor in unhealthy eating behaviour among adolescents is self-efficacy (Kinard et al., 2011).  It’s not like I can’t cook. I enjoy cooking, but it takes me longer to go through the process of buying groceries and preparing them.  As a student that studied health sciences, I recognize that the food that I ingest at restaurants are likely to have disproportionately high percentage of saturated fats, salt and sugar (Kinard et al., 2011). Research has shown that unhealthy eating is related to chronic health risks such as cardiovascular diseases and certain types of cancer (Kinard et al., 2011).  I know I may not have to worry about chronic diseases yet because I am still young but I think this is a misconception a lot the students have.  Like saying, “old habits die hard”, it will be difficult to suddenly implement healthy eating to one’s lifestyle when one gets older. But let me tell you; for me, it’s been worth it.

I have been making a conscious effort stay away from restaurants.  I opt out of the option of meeting my friends in a restaurant. I try to meet them at a library to study, meet at home so we can cook together or meet them briefly for tea. As I mentioned, we as individuals have a large influence on our friends. If you take the initiative to take on healthy eating, your friends can be influenced too. Ever since becoming more mindful about my habits of eating out, I’ve been preparing my lunch the night before every single day. I make sure to incorporate the different food groups into my diet. I opt out of difficult dishes unless I have enough time.  I prep my vegetables (i.e. buy chopped garlic vs. whole to save time) and choose something that can be done really quickly such as sautéed vegetables and grilled chicken breast.  Food is important but I understand that school sometimes comes first. This is where prioritizing comes in. If you have something important school-related that’s due tomorrow, make a quick recipe or prepare 2-3 portions per cooking session and then store it.

I know it is difficult to make a sudden change in your diet but it is worth the try.  Ever since I’ve been cooking and eating-in more, I’ve felt healthier, saved a lot of money and I feel happy that I am fuelling my body with nutritious food. I've also been learning more about nutrition in general.

Try using the SMART (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely) goal to tackle your dine-out-holism

Example:
I want to reduce the amount of meals I dine out. I will minimize my dine-outs to 1 time a week. I am going to lunch and dinner for the next 2 weeks. I will prepare 2 portions during one cooking session.  




 If you have any questions, please contact us at mphteamone@gmail.com




Kinard et al. (2011). Factors influencing unhealthy eating behaviour in US adolescents. International Journal of Consumer Studies. 36, 23-29, 

No comments:

Post a Comment